Thursday, August 14, 2008

Journaling the junk out of our trunk...

Photobucket

I'd recently read a post in another blogger's journal about how journaling had helped her lose weight.

As I turned this idea over in my head, it hit me.

*hits hand to forehead*

About a year ago I took a part time job as a receptionist so that I could also go to nursing school. Receptionists generally don't have a glamorous or even busy job and so I started journaling. I'd also started a new eating plan that would help me with my insulin resistance issues. I dropped about 25lbs in a 6 weeks period.

Eventually though I stopped journaling.

Why, i'm not sure. It probably had a lot to do with the seasonal depression I went through and my denial towards it.

Nonetheless my decision to stop journaling lead to gaining back the weight I'd lost and then some...a gift from good old depression.

Maybe the key to beating emotional eating is to
write the emotions down before they 'eat' at you and you 'eat' because of them.

Maybe working through emotions on paper will help keep us from working them out in our pantry.

It's definitely worth a try and I have a sneaking suspicion that it will work. When we have to write down our emotions and feelings it makes us come to terms with them. We cannot 'numb' them by food anymore. We look them straight in the face.

Being honest about ourselves and our emotions is probably the best thing we can do for ourselves, weight lost or not.

1 comment:

adventure grrl said...

How sweet! Thank you for referencing my blog. I love it! Have you heard of Julia Cameron's book?? I forget the name but it's specifically about journaling to lose weight and has gotten lots of press.

I love your blog, so needed. All the best...