Sunday, August 10, 2008

Why eating feels so good?

Photobucket


It never fails, unhappy feelings are my diet kryptonite.

Whenever sadness, stress, or frustration comes knocking, food tempts me and suddenly I'm craving white cheddar popcorn, cake, or my all time favorite: cookie dough.

But why does eating feel so good?

This article fro MSNBC might help.

'Why does eating feel so good? The secret may lie in the head, not in the stomach, U.S. researchers reported.

Tests on rats show that the appetite hormone ghrelin acts on pleasure receptors in the brain.

“In mice and rats ghrelin triggers the same neurons as delicious food, sexual experience, and many recreational drugs; that is, neurons that provide the sensation of pleasure and the expectation of reward,” the researchers write in Friday’s issue of the Journal of Clinical Investigation.'


So basically....Ghrelin, which we'll call the hungry hormone actually can trigger the same feelings as a sexual experience or drugs.


This is why I wholeheartedly believe that Overeating is as much a problem as alcoholism, drug usage, or even disorders like bulimia.


And this is why I believe that on a majority of people, diets can't work alone. For me at least, fat is only a symptom of a much larger issue.


Dieting alone would be like telling an alcoholic to just stop drinking. That doesn't work, which is why someone invented the 12 steps and the AA.


Overeaters need support, and we need to find the root of why we're eating. Is it to feel good? Is it because we're bored or sad or lonely or empty? If we don't find the answers, dieting is only like putting a bandaid on a gushing wound. It doesn't fix the problem.


So what's the answer? Counseling, group programs like Overeaters Anonymous? I think for everyone's it's probably a bit different, and I only know what's working for me. But like the great weight watchers commercials chime "Diet don't work." Not alone anyway.

Weight: 274

No comments: