Wednesday, November 5, 2008

To lose weight you must love food?

In the most recent issue of Good Housekeeping was an article that stated that the key to overcoming emotional eating was to love food.

I thought for a moment and my first reaction was..."What? I got this way because i love food....I love it so much I think about it, obsess about it, gorge myself on it. What do you mean I have to love food? That's my problem!!!"

But then I thought, wait a minute!

What is the definition of loving anything?

I guess you must care for it, and spend time on it, savor it. Ah, there's the rub. I don't love food. I'm infatuated yes, but I don't love it. I usually shove down some ice cream without pondering or appreciating the flavor or texture. In all honestly I'd rather have a big plate of rice with tons of butter than a gourmet meal. I hardly taste what goes in my piehole.

I wonder how much more full I'd be and how much weight I'd just drop if I savored what was on my fork, paid attention to the complexities of the flavors, salivated over tenderness.

I guess this approach can work with anything in life. We've got to take the time to appreciate every little thing.

In the words of Anton Ego from Ratatouille:

I don't LIKE food, I LOVE it. If I don't LOVE it, I don't SWALLOW.

1 comment:

adventure grrl said...

Hi Doll! I found a sweet comment you left for me on my blog 100 Days in Bed and I wanted you to know I'm back to writing there! Hope ur great and will stop by sooooon. xoxoxo